[stylist] Apology - Reasons for a Separate Reading List

neil.butters at sympatico.ca neil.butters at sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 8 15:28:41 UTC 2011

    Hello,

There are  a few reasons I can think of that would relegate book discussions
to another list.

First, reading itself doesn’t improve writing, much like listening to music
doesn’t make you a musician or eating makes you a chef.

Second, should topics like “My favorite ten authors” or “The best romance
novels of the last decade” be discussed on a writing list? I don’t think
they are relevant, yet we will get those types of posts. We would always
have the question of relevance, but a separate mailing list would eliminate
the controversy. The other solution would be to allow any and all
discussions about books.

The third problem is that every one of us likes to read, and we aren’t
looking at it from the other perspective. What if some NFB members want to
discuss books but have no interest in writing? Is it right to make them join
a group that may only sometimes discuss what interests them? I can’t be
sure, but I think many groups that discuss books do not also discuss
writing, much like a film lovers group not posting about how to light an
outdoor scene at night. I am fairly sure if this had been the reverse – that
is, the NFB Writers Group were the NFB Reading Group – and someone suggested
that it be expanded to include how-to-write discussions, that many people
would have no interest in writing and would want to make a separate writing
list. And I think a valid argument can be made for that.

I just bring these up as points to consider. I still think we can expand to
include book discussions on this list because books can be discussed with
the writing aspect in mind, and we will need to accept some posts that
simply say things like “I like Harry Potter. Everyone should read those
books.”

Neil