[stylist] my Christmas story

Brad Dunsé lists at braddunsemusic.com
Fri Dec 9 13:54:39 UTC 2011

vejas,

Lord, a nasty math teacher for a potential uncle.
Your depiction of him was pretty much like the
one I had for 9th grade algebra. I still see him
with his beady piercing eyes staring out of
1970's style, black-rimmed glasses; licking his
finger as he cockily paged through the test
papers he was holding standing at the front of
the room saying, "Ok people, here comes your
little jewels," in a nasty, snotty, wickedly
authoritive way; sporting a smirk I'd have given
my A+ in my Government class away if but one
chance to wipe that thing off his face. lol. I'm
not bitter am I? To be quite honest, I only past
that class because of good eyeballs at the time
to abscond answers from my buddy sitting to my
right. Importance of a good teacher? After I
graduated high school I attended a Tech College
and finished my Technical Math course containing
Algebra, Geometry, and Trigonometry, not only
with an A+ but a month early as well. So thumbs
down to the Mr. Firgalli's of the world haha.

A quick few evaluation comments on your piece,
and as I always disclaim in anything I evaluate,
"it's just my opinion so either tuck it or chuck it" :).

If I missed this sorry, but can you let me know
your age? That might help in comments given in the future.

I liked the idea of bad Christmas-good Christmas.
An overcoming the past kind of deal there. I'm
not sure what of this story is based on truth but
obviously some things were fictionalized. At
least I'd expect you'd have known in real life
that your aunt was dating your math teacher, but
I did like the irony of that. I liked the detail
of the septuplets with one being as you said
"plain popular-snotty," I like that description.
I liked the use of various characters in the
story, though there was little time to get to
know them all in such a short piece, but it shows a nice creative mind :).

You might want to watch some of your phrasings
such as: "My sisters' room is across the hall, so
I couldn't use any of them to get me to come up."
That would not be the way one would say it in
actual conversation. I understand too this was a
free-for-all quick blurb, but punctuation and
structure is a good thing to be mindful of when
possible. That is something I tend to struggle
with myself which is why I probably noticed :).
When I look at a piece's title such as your's, as
mentioned I like the overcomer part, bad into
good, but the bad, humorous as it was, did out
weigh the good. One method of shortening up the
good while getting the humor and irony from the
bad stuff previous, and still leave one with a
good feeling in the end, is to slam them with
emotion in the end; pull on those heart strings a
little bit. What one misses in equal keyboard
time, can I think, be compensated for by
intensity of emotion. Not that one can just toss
in a quick few bits containing an emotional topic
too quickly, but give it the needed emotional
primer prior. Kind of like a stew. You can toss
all the fixins in the pot, turn up the heat for a
few minutes and eat it, but it'll taste a bit
raw. Whereas if you give it the needed time to
stew up a bit, the flavors blend in and it is
much different of a taste, delicious even :).
Similar with the point I'm so tragically trying
to make lol, just like a good cook, one knows
when it is done just right by experience and the
intimate feel of the piece as a writer.

OK so that was way too long a way to explain
things lol. But I enjoyed your taking me on your
two day trip through your world. Keep writing.

Brad

Brad Dunsé

"A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the
bone shared with the dog, when you are just as
hungry as the dog." --Jack London

http://www.braddunsemusic.com

http://www.facebook.com/braddunse

http://www.twitter.com/braddunse