[stylist] Holiday exercises to be considered for winter Slate & Style

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 10 22:34:58 UTC 2011

Hey guys,

So I just realized a few things: Since I have stated any of the holiday
exercises will be considered for Slate & Style, I thought I better
include a few guidelines. If you don't care about having your exercise
considered, don't worry about following these guidelines.

First, please don't exceed 3000 words for short fiction and nonfiction
pieces. This is a generous length, and quite a bit for a simple
exercise, but many of you have already posted some great pieces that are
longer than a normal writing exercise, though I don't believe anyone has
gone over 3000 words as of yet.

But nothing longer than 3000 words. And please no more than 36 lines for
poetry.

Though just an exercise, I suggest, if you want consideration for Slate
& Style, you work on a piece that is complete, and please, please edit
it yourself as much as possible. It's tedious to read through these when
grammar, spelling and structure errors riddle it. No regulations on
subject matter, language and form or structure, but if including
language, adult content or the like, it better be organic to the plot
and done with artistry and not done arbitrarily.

A complete piece means something with some type of resolution by the
end. Chris's Santa Smanta is a good example.

FYI, I recommend writing your exercise in a Word document and not just
off the cusp in a Stylist post especially if you want consideration for
S & S. You can copy and paste once finished writing, revising and
editing in a Stylist post.

Lastly, I won't have much time to poor over Stylist emails as I have a
lot going on right now. So I have access to your individual exercises,
and can read them better, please send it directly to me off-list at
bpollpeter at hotmail.com. This way I can keep track of them without having
to read through an entire Stylist digest, and I also have an individual
copy.

Questions, comments, concerns, contact me off-list. Good luck, and happy
holidays to all of you.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style
bpollpeter at hotmail.com

Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan