[stylist] Schmanta Claus

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Mon Dec 12 00:57:17 UTC 2011

Jacqie,

Sorry you didn't care for my story. I'm sure you're not alone, and I have a
fat folder full of rejection letters to prove it (not including several
nasty notes from my mother).

I have a warped, often dark, sense of humor. To me, the irony of a Jew
playing Santa, his drinking and curmudgeonly comments, the smoking elf, the
mall who overlooks things in the name of profit--these things strike me as
funny. It's not a story about theology, or about embracing people's
differences, it's a story about a Jewish Santa who has had a crappy day
reaching out to a troubled kid and making him feel better.

In my fiction, I always create characters who have both flaws and good
points, because that's the way I see the human species. Everyone is
beautiful, and everyone is ugly, depending on the day and the situation. My
mother used to ask me, when I used to show her my work--why can't you ever
write something happy? I just can't. I don't believe in happy-ever-after, I
believe we are dealt a hand of cards and we do the best we can with the
cards we've been dealt. Some days good things happen, other days bad things
happen. Things could be better, but they could also be worse. Much worse.
These are my personal views on life, and if I am to write honestly, which is
the only way I wish to write, this is reflected in my work.

Don't worry, 'Schmanta Claus' is a stand alone story--there won't be a
sequel. I'm currently working on a chapter in a novel that coincidentally
takes place on Christmas, and I was thinking of sharing that. I also had
another idea and drafted a story about a lonely man visiting his
psychiatrist about his holiday blues, but I'm thinking it will be too dark
for this group.

I'm more than willing to discuss spirituality/theology if you'd like, but
this list isn't the place for it. Feel free to write me off list any time.

Peace,

chris