[stylist] Holiday exercise: Tattered Remains of Christmas, fiction, language & strong content

Brad Dunsé lists at braddunsemusic.com
Mon Dec 12 12:13:47 UTC 2011

Bridgit,

You've got some wonderful descriptions here,
stuff like  the Christmas tree resembling the
homeless man crouching in the alley on Fourth
Street, a very real touchable analogy, I really
liked that.  You got me wondering exactly what
happened that this holiday became such a
disaster. Didn't he buy her the right present?
lol Just kidding. I was surprised for some reason
that it was  the guy who was the weaker
person  narrirating. She really clocked him lol.
Maybe it was the language or what I interpret as
femininity of the narrative that made me assume
it was a woman telling it. I'm not sure though
the  use of the 10 dollar words at times helps
the general readability or adds to the story.
I  know writing economically is important. Just
like in songwriting there are those that
adimately oppose to seeing the words just, and,
or maybe  you know; and yet at times if omitted,
the piece becomes unconversational,
stuttered,  or unnatural   to the story or
flow.   That is how it seemed to me, a bit
lacking a natural flow, it gave impression of
machine gunning related phrases, but disconnected
from each other at the same time--as descriptive
as they were--rather than someone telling me
their story in a talking voice. I was a bit lost
at first of why this person was bleeding and
exactly what was going on,  Perhaps some earlier
clue of what happened without giving away the
store right off. You painted a detailed image of
a trashed Christmas living room  pretty darn
good  over all and I could definitely feel the
slivers of glass on the bottom of my feet. I
loved the last line: "I add my shattered life to
the wreckage ornamenting the room." If I were the
guy saying it though I'd probably not say
"ornamenting" which is what I mean about a male
narrative, similare would be
"rivulet,Capitulating, and 'Victorian ballerinas
pirouette around ...'". This is a violent scene
which I believe he was the aggressor, making the
gash on her cheek and she, with her survival
instincts clocked him good. I think
the  aggressiveness  and maleness might need to
be represented by his use of language telling the
story.  Stuff like the "dog's piss, feeling in my
gut," and  those kinds of use  of words do a
better job of  representing   a male perspective.
A sad scene though which did bring out emotion
which is what we writers are meant to do.

Brad Dunsé

"To rise with the sun is human, but to dance with
the moon is divine." --The Night Owl's Motto

http://www.braddunsemusic.com

http://www.facebook.com/braddunse

http://www.twitter.com/braddunse