[stylist] Tattered Remains of Christmas

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Mon Dec 12 16:14:26 UTC 2011

Bridgit,

I think Eve and I have to bow down before you and hand over the
bummer-Christmas-story crown. You are our Queen!

Seriously, this was an emotionally charged story that packs a powerful
punch, if you'll pardon the expression. Your use of imagery and emotion is
incredible--there's definitely a poet living inside you. I loved the colored
broken   pieces of glass, the silence pushing against the walls, and
especially the Christmas tree broken and bent like a homeless man--very
powerful stuff. It's not a happy story, but it's going to stick with me all
day, which is the sign of a good story. After all, as writers we want to
make people feel something.

As for editorial suggestions, I have a few. Firstly, as I was reading in the
beginning I assumed the narrator was a woman. Maybe this is because you are,
or the word choices made me feel that way, but I was a little surprised to
find out the narrator was the husband. One suggestion might be to add
something--my big hands, my size elevens crunching on the broken ornament,
blood running into the stubble on my face--something earlier on to clue the
reader in.

My second suggestion would be to do some trimming. Your many turns of phrase
are excellent, it's not that, but as readers, we get it. I'm probably overly
sparse in my writing, and in this sample I think you're a little bit heavy.
Over-writing is something writers sometime fall into when they are uncertain
if the reader really feels what the writer wants them to feel. You achieved
the emotional impact, and I think you could cut a little and the piece might
even hit harder.

My final thought is--if you did this in between baby-sitting and baking and
general holiday preparations, imagine what you could do if you sat down and
devoted your full attention to it!

Great job, and thanks for sharing.

chris