[stylist] Holiday exercise: Comments on comments for Tattered Remains of Christmas

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 12 22:22:47 UTC 2011

Brad, Chris and others,

Thanks for the comments. Not sure why such a depressing story came to
mind, but I had it brewing in my mind all day before actually sitting
down to write it.

One of the purposes for critiquing is to learn how others interpret a
story so a writer knows if they accomplished what they want, and where
to add, cut or amplify. I would, however, like to just point out two
things.

First, the language and phrasing is not typical of a male narrator,
though I think this is gender stereotyping, smile. One of my favorite
authors is Neil Gaimon, as previously mentioned. He can affect this
lyrical voice at times, which is one of the reasons I love him. Along
with working under published professors, I also worked alongside male
writers during college who wrote in a similar fashion , which is a
specific style usually called lyrical, or poetic. There's a lot of
emphasis on imagery and metaphor instead of traditional, straight
descriptions, hence the reason this style is often described as poetic.
I don't know if I would call the descriptions "stunted," Brad, but
instead of supplying a traditional description, I like to work with
using imagery and metaphor to describe things. Instead of saying, the
sun sunk low in the sky, you could say, red, amber and pink shafts
painted the horizon as the sun melted, molding together with the
landscape. Not the greatest example, but there you go, grin.

Second, it was very intentional that it not be clear that the narrator
is male. I wanted the reader to "see" inside the head of an abusive
person, but not know immediately gender, or even if the narrator was the
abused or the abuser. I wanted it to be clear by the end, but to make a
point, I didn't mean for it to be clear in the beginning. Not that I'm
saying abusive people should be pitied, but like Chris, I like to
explore the good and bad all humans are capable of. Who would think an
abusive person can have a loving and tender side? Who knew you could
feel sympathy for a person who abuses their wife? Voice, tone and POV
were all very intentional.

I would like to point out the use of "million dollar words," or lack
thereof in a story. Diction is very important and you must know how to
best wield word choice in a story. Just because you may speak a certain
way doesn't mean each story you write use similar language. It all
depends on setting, character, style and tone. A friend was working on a
story about teens who were in a street gang, among other things. They
had great descriptions and scenes providing rich characterization, but
in the narration of the story, they used words and phrasing contrasting
the life of the characters. Now, this kind of contrasting could work for
such a story, but it wasn't the intention of the writer to do this. They
wanted the narrative flow to match throughout the story. You can't place
just any word wherever you want; it must be well-thought out and
intentional. Just as dialogue can't be used to just fill space, it must
work to either drive the plot along or provide characterization, word
choice must be done similarly. Using "big" words don't necessarily add
to a description or story, if not used in the proper context, it
actually can be clunky and cumbersome. It also depends on your target
audience. People don't want to read material they don't understand. This
all must be considered when drafting a story and selecting word choice.

I do appreciate your comments, and they are helpful should I develop
this exercise more. I like the honest feedback.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan