[stylist] Holiday exercise: Tattered Remains of Christmas, fiction, language & strong content

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Tue Dec 13 04:12:56 UTC 2011

Bridgit

Good story, I really got into the state of mind that the guy was
experiencing. And here is a question --- you can always explain things so
well --- what is the voice that this piece is written in? Like the guy, as
he is running, chasing  all these deep emotions and memories and while there
is signs of this guy being in Present time as he is aware of the cry's of
his daughter, yet in his remembrance of times past, you use ".... The static
in your hand charged through me..." then later you use "....Huddled in front
of the decimated Christmas tree, a bruised ball of fury, I reach my hand out
to you...." (with other references sprinkled through out like that, like
with the use of "you" and "your" he is talking at her, sharing his memories
with her.) Yet when the woman, his wife gets into the picture, it is in real
time and they have direct interaction. MMm, maybe I'm answering my  own
question, his state of mind in is going in and out of reality, of past and
present, from fuig state to --- whatever. (guess first couple of readings
found me not liking it, that writing tactic; maybe not understanding it.