[stylist] December Telephone Gathering- 3 days away!

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Thu Dec 15 20:38:35 UTC 2011

Dear STYLIST and Writers' Division membership

RE: DECEMBER Telephone Gathering is Sunday the 18th (3 days from today!)

Time: 7:30 PM US Central

Number to call in on: (218) 339-4300

 Conference ID#: 568839 Pound

We have a guest speaker, a gentleman who is a published author, a retired
college instructor and is prepared to talk to us about creative non-fiction,
publishing, grammar, editing, and more. (Read his BIO below). Also, Mister
Burns Taylor's "Wild Velvet" was the first place winner in our 2011
non-fiction category, and he is the newest member of the NFB Writers'
division.

Burns Taylor BIO:

Beginning with the publication of "Just Breakfast,: a prose poem published
in a campus literary magazine in 1967, my career as an artist has spanned
more than forty years.  One high point was the release of Beyond Blindness,
a one-hour documentary narrated by Patty Duke for PBS television.  For that
film I earned screen credits as a featured performer and contributing
writer.  Another highlight was the first sale of my essay, "Shoestring
Publisher," to Publishers Weekly  in New York.  Most recently, my essay,
"The First Star I See," was selected from an international competition for
inclusion in Reading Lips and Other Ways to Overcome a Disability, a
collection of 29 essays published by the Helen Keller Foundation for
Educational Research.  That book is available through the National Library
Service talking book program.

I hold a B.A.  Degree in English from the university of Texas at Austin and
an Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in professional writing from the University of
Southern California.  I have taught English composition and literature
classes for the past 20 years at two community colleges and one university
in two different states.

I will be prepared to discuss creative nonfiction and poetry publishing,
writing, editing and some exercises I have created to be helpful in
preparing to write fiction.  I will be happy to entertain questions
regarding subject matter, style and other questions about freelance writing
and publishing.  I will also attempt to answer any questions about syntax
and/or grammatical usage.  I look forward to sharing ideas with you all on
Dec. 18.

Robert Leslie Newman

President, Omaha Chapter NFB

President, NFB Writers' Division