[stylist] Christmas submission - Christmas fire safety

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Fri Dec 16 16:21:30 UTC 2011

Hi Brenda,
What a riveting story! After reading it in the body of the e-mail, I read
the .doc version. I'm not sure why you had trouble copying it to
Thunderbird. It kept the periods, but missed the space after. Go figure.

Anyway, a few comments ... You should get into the habit of placing your
name on the things you write (by Brenda ...). I only noticed one little
formatting issue -- you need another line break between the first and second
paragraphs -- before "A llittle over a year ago). The thing that strikes me
-- and it probably wouldn't effect sighted people this way -- is your
neighbor's comment that the fire wasn't because you were blind, but because
you were stupid. So often it seems like the sighted public wants to blame
any and all of our flaws on blindness. It is truly refreshing to know that
there are those who have moved beyond that. In the case of your neighbor,
it's probably due to knowing you -- proof of the difference we can make just
by going about our lives.

Anyway, a great message for all of us about the dangers of fire. Last week,
heavy snow knocked out power on our rural road. Many of us have generators.
One neighbor's generator, which was in a small shed outside the house,
caught fire and spread to the house. Despite the remoteness of the area,
help was here within minutes. We learned later that one company was already
in the area for a small non residential fire and saw the flames as they were
ready to leave. The house did not burn to the ground, and our neighbors were
able to salvage some keepsakes,but the house will have to be torn down.

Thanks for sharing, and I hope it gets published.
Donna