[stylist] Fwd: A Phrase A Week - Security blanket

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Fri Dec 30 16:11:30 UTC 2011

Interesting. I never knew about the custom of lining the inside of cribs
with blankets. This was before all of the safety regs and new designs after
kids got their heads stuck between the vertical wooden "bars" of the old
fashioned cribs. I don't remember anyone using the blankets in my lifetime
and wonder if the accidents happened only after the custom was abandoned.
Perhaps, mothers thought the blankets were to help avoid draft, and with
central heat, that became less of a problem, so they didn't think about the
blanketskeeping the kids in.
Donna