[stylist] While we're at it ... letter to the editor

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Fri Feb 4 20:03:54 UTC 2011

Hi Friends,
This is the letter to the editor I sent out yesterday. Obviously, I
can't say if it will be picked up, but three local papers usually print
my letters. Any comments on any of this?
Donna

***

Dear Editor,

On Friday, January 29, history was made at Daytona International
Speedway when a blind man drove a modified Ford Escape solo. The Blind
Driver Challenge ^(TM) is a project of Virginia Tech's School of
Engineering and the nonprofit National Federation of the Blind Jernigan
Institute (Baltimore, the nation's only research and training facility
run by blind people.

Jernigan Institute Executive Director Mark Riccobono, successfully
navigated cones and obstacles at speeds between 20-30 mph, in a
demonstration before the Rolex 24. A van dropped a box on the course as
he was driving. After swerving around it, he passed the van. Riccobono
test-drove the vehicle at Virginia International Raceway earlier this
year and practiced at Daytona. He took his wife (also blind) and two
young children for a ride earlier that week.

When Dr. Dennis Hong, director of VT's Robotics and Mechanisms Lab
(RoMeLa) first learned of the 2004 challenge from NFB President Dr. Marc
Maurer to American universities to develop a blind-drivable car, he says
that he figured, "How hard could that be? We've already got automated
vehicles." He soon learned that the NFB wasn't looking for a vehicle
that would drive itself, but one in which the driver received
information in real time through nonvisual interfaces and was actively
involved in the driving process.

The Ford Escape used in Saturday's demonstration was equipped with a
Lazar guidance system developed by TORK along with VT-developed
/DriveGrip/ gloves and /SpeedGrip/ strips in the seat. Sensors on the
knuckles of each hand deliver vibrations to the index finger of the hand
indicating the direction to turn. Vibrations to the other fingers of
that hand specify a sharper turn. Vibrations up the back and down the
legs define changes in acceleration. The Ford is the second generation
prototype; Riccobono and 20 blind teens drove a dune buggy at the 2009
Youth Slam (the NFB's science camp) at the University of Maryland.

The BDC's purpose is to change public perceptions of the capabilities of
blind Americans, who still suffer a 70% unemployment rate, a 10% Braille
literacy rate and endure countless obstacles in their quest to take
their places in society. Furthermore BDC seeks to excite scientists and
developers about the need for and the possibilities of nonvisual
interface technology. With the rise of touch screen technology, blind
Americans are increasingly unable to use consumer products like laundry
machines and ovens, which were easy, when manufacturers used knobs and
switches. Office equipment, including fax machines and copiers, have
been similarly affected, further limiting chances for employment and
promotion.

The ADA has made it illegal for architects and builders to ignore access
to those in wheelchairs, but no similar provision protects blind people
by ensuring access to products, software and websites. The technology is
here; it's time to remove barriers to full inclusion of blind Americans.
As your blind neighbor, I encourage you to help.

For further information visit:

www.blinddriverchallenge.org <http://www.blinddriverchallenge.org/>

www.nfb.org

Or read my in-depth BDC series on Suite 101:

www.suite101.com/profile.cfm/donna_hill

--
Read Donna's articles on
Suite 101:
www.suite101.com/profile.cfm/donna_hill
Ezine Articles:
http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=D._W._Hill
American Chronicle:
www.americanchronicle.com/authors/view/3885

Connect with Donna on
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/dewhill
LinkedIn:
www.linkedin.com/in/dwh99
FaceBook:
www.facebook.com/donna.w.hill.

Hear clips from "The Last Straw" at:
cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill
Apple I-Tunes
phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Check out the "Sound in Sight" CD project
Donna is Head of Media Relations for the nonprofit
Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind:
www.padnfb.org

Database version: 6.16840