[stylist] Standard for PR Writing

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 4 21:09:37 UTC 2011

Pete,

There are experts like Donna who know far more than I do, but here are
some examples to keep in mind when it comes to public relations writing.

For all PR writing, you should follow Associated Press Style.  There are
books available as well as online sites that describe this style of
writing.

When it comes to news releases that you send to media outlets:
Use headline that grabs attention, and use active verb
This is how all news releases should begin:  Omaha, Neb., Feb. 4, 2011-
Woman describes news releases.
Make sure your lead sentence, again, captures the point of the story,
and it must grab readers attention
Paragraphs should be short, and write concisely
Quotes should be their own para
Don't insert an opinion yourself.  Use quotes and stats to express
opinions or to sway readers in a certain direction
Should not be longer than 2 pages, and leave proper contact info

News alert:
Send to media to remind them of a story
Not longer than one page
Use bullet style with who, what, when, where and why
Include short paras at end that highlight key elements of story
Include proper contact info

Sometimes, you may want to pitch a story or idea to the media.  For
this, you write a simple pitch letter.:
Should be no longer than one page
Use story or stats to create short, attention grabbing first para that
will make reader interested
Again, be concise and include the key elements

There are other forms of PR writing that I am not as familiar with so I
will not discuss them, but always follow AP Style.  Professional media
outlets will respect you more if you use the standard they follow.  AP
Style has specific guidelines that differ from other forms of writing,
for instance, state abbreviations used are not the post office version,
I. E. Nebraska is Neb. According to AP Style.  And there is a certain
way to write percentages and numbers as well as titles and/or positions.
You always use "said" after quotes from people, and only use "according
to" for info from printed sources.  There is a lot of technical stuff
like that.

PR writing is more journalistic in nature, though you do include more
aspects of creative writing-- it is not straight reporting.

Again, Donna, and others, are more experienced and can provide better
help here, but I hope this explains some of what I mentioned before.

Bridgit
Message: 4