[stylist] Guidelines for S&S submissions

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Sun Feb 6 15:45:45 UTC 2011

As new editor for Slate & Style, magazine for the NFB Writers Division, I am
working with President Robert Leslie Newman, and those interested, to create
a fresh publication that can gain attention throughout the Federation and
perhaps beyond.  Many members of the division and email list, Stylist, write
literature, but we want to incorporate all genres and styles-journalism,
technical, music, newsletter, literature, etc.

As we set a new pace for Slate & Style, I want to include articles that
discuss various tips and style guides along with practical applications for
different forms of writing.  Slate & Style will continue to publish short
literature pieces-fiction and creative nonfiction-along with poetry, but we
are broadening our horizons.  The Federation has a lot of talent to offer
that encompasses a wide range of writing forms.

Our next issue of Slate & Style will release this spring.  All submissions
must be turned in by April 3 for consideration in the spring issue.  Please
follow the submission guidelines listed:

Articles are to be 1500 words or less.  Fiction and creative nonfiction
submissions are to be 3000 words or less.  Poems are to be 36 lines or less.
Include a title page with author name, title of each piece and contact
info-phone, email and address.  Please include a brief bio of yourself-no
more than 150 words.
All email submissions must be attachments and sent to
bpollpeter at hotmail.com.  Do not paste entries into the body of an email.  In
the subject line, write:  Slate & Style submission, name, title.
If you send a submission via snail mail, please use a standard font so it
can be scanned with no complications.
Use MS Word or create an RTF for all submissions.
Make sure to proofread and check your own grammar and formatting.

Slate & Style will consider all submissions for publication.  However,
please refrain from graphic sexual and violent content as well as language
and anti-religious, anti-gender, anti-racial and anti-sexual orientation
content.  Material will be published according to the discretion of the
editor though.

Please direct questions and comments to Bridgit Kuenning Pollpeter at
bpollpeter at hotmail.com, or 402.350.1735.

I look forward to developing a new voice with Slate & Style.  Your
contributions will pave the road for our future ahead.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning Pollpeter
Editor, Slate & Style