[stylist] Hoodys and hoodlams revisited

Bill Outman woutman at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 16 00:21:56 UTC 2011

Good evening.

I wanted to revisit the discussion we had a few weeks back about hoodys and
hoodlums.

I ran across something interesting while looking on line for rain gear and
investigating seemingly everything possible including golf jackets and
hoodys.  We had discussed how the image of hoodys is bound up with the
concept of hoodlums and the criminal element of our society.  One of the
hoodys I looked at was under the brand name "Hit Man."  I was surprised a
manufacturer would play to such a prejudice so directly and actually embrace
it.

I've actually settled tentatively on a rain coat I can order on line from J.
C. Penney that I will have the catalog department help me ensure the details
of next week.

This project was an outgrowth of the Blind Driver Challenge I attended.
Since umbrellas are not permitted at the speedway I needed an alternative,
which turned out to be unnecessary.  My first try was a poncho from Wal-Mart
I had to return since I could not get any non-visual orientation to it when
I got it home to try before having to use it.  Other ponchos I've looked at
turned out to be either flimsy or almost equally unmanageable.

There is another side note about the use of the language that cropped up in
my search.  When I double checked the item I'm considering from the JCPenney
website, I entered raincoat as one word as I thought I remembered it from
when I could see print and came up empty.  I went back through the list of
coats and jackets and discovered it was spelled as rain coat, two words.

So this is possibly an interesting way in which our use of English has
changed over the years.

It will be good to have the choice of either an umbrella or rain coat.  One
benefit will be the ability to have a free hand while manipulating my cane.

Bill Outman