[stylist] stylist Digest, Vol 81, Issue 21

Kerry Thompson kethompson1964 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 23:39:03 UTC 2011

Judith, involvement is the key. It never ceases to astound me how many
parents aren't involved, don't know what's going on in their kids'
lives. Of course, as kids, that's what we want, our parents just to butt
out and leave us alone. But a good parent, or maybe I should say one
with good parenting skills, knows how to strike the balance. For
instance, I have twin cousins who are two years older than me. It wasn't
till they were seniors in high school that my aunt cottoned onto the
fact that they couldn't read. I mean, like, hello! My parents always
knew what we were doing in school, what our homework was, when big
projects needed to be in by, and they made sure we did it. They didn't
ride us, they weren't obnoxious about it, they just kept abreast of
things. And, Mum was always on top of our health, and whether we were
acting normally or seemed to be in some kind of trouble. Seems to  me,
that's what being a parent is all about, the job description. But, so
many people seem to think that all they have to do is produce the kid,
and society, the schools, some vague somebody else has responsibility
from there on out. And it just doesn't work.  Children need to be looked
after by some specific somebody, be that Mama and Daddy, Gramma, Mrs.
Macarthy across the hall, somebody they know will always be there
looking out for them.

Oh, I shouldn't even get started. Gotta go get supper anyway,
fortunately. Otherwise, I'd rant till the cows come home. *wry grin*

Kerry