[stylist] Workshop environment

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 16 02:39:26 UTC 2011

In my program at UNO, we have so many studio classes we take over our
course.  In a nutshell, we write then read everyone's material so we can
discuss each others writing.  Authors are "gagged" as we discuss their
pieces.  Manuscripts may include material some disagree with or are
uncomfortable with.  We are not to make critiques based on our opinion
of the content, but rather we are to critique the work on structure,
style, format and all that good stuff.  We point out what is working and
what isn't.

I say all this because I feel, as a writers list, we should follow
similar protocol.  For the most part, we approach each others material
in this manner, but--especially recently--we get caught up in our
opinions based solely on content.  I think, as Robert pointed out, we
need to approach material with an eye for constructive criticism and
leave our personal comments about content out.  Language, sex, and
content such as race, gender and politics may be disagreeable to some,
but as writers, our purpose is to help with what is working and what is
not working, but leave personal opinions out.

Bridgit