[stylist] Political pieces and the list

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Tue Jan 18 16:53:07 UTC 2011

Very good, well put. Appreciated
-----Original Message-----
From: stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Joe Orozco
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:38 AM
To: 'Writer's Division Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [stylist] Political pieces and the list

What's difficult about the list is that all our communication is carried out
via e-mails, so to a certain extent, Judith is right that any communication
is a writing exercise.  All I've been trying to put out there is that the
list should be seen as a writing forum and not a sounding board, because
it's too easy to put out a myriad of opinions, call it a writing exercise
and water down the real nature of the list in the midst of issue debates as
opposed to writing advice.  There is no shortage of lists devoted to issue
discussions.  Believe it or not, there is a difference.  Anyway, that's my
last twenty dollars on the issue.  Unless it becomes a weekly occurrence, I
don't know that the preceding discussion was of any harm to anyone.  No one
is trying to stomp out free speech, and references to Fahrenheit 451 is, I
think, a bit much.

Best,

Joe