[stylist] another Member has Poetry Published! Celebrate!

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Tue May 3 19:42:46 UTC 2011

Here is the text of the message, followed by the poetry. (I like the message
and I actually --- not being a poetry-head --- I got the feel of the poem.

----

Robert,

I thoroughly enjoyed Carry Thompson's two love poems that you attached. You
may have a "Tiger by the Tail" by starting to send out member's recently
published poems and articles.

Because you have started this, I will cut and paste my last published poem
to this and hope that the format comes out the same as it was published.

Although this was submitted two years ago to the NFB Writer's contest, I
resubmitted it to the AZ State Poetry Society Annual Contest in 2010. It
appeared in the Sandcutters, the quarterly of the AZ State Poetry Society,
Volume 44, Issue 4, 2010 Contest Winners.

As a word of encouragement to all blind poets, I lost my sight, retaining
very little, and at age 76 I had to start learning how to use a screen
reader, without enough vision to use Magic or other enlarging programs.

Since then I have had about seven poems published. A very supportive group
of poetry Critiquers has trained me in the kind of errors I most frequently

make. Slowly I have found the techniques to get out presentable copy.

I am severely auditorily deficient, but the voice on JAWS is totally clear
to me, and so the creative progress goes on.

I spent over twenty years teaching learning disabled students, and from
them, I learned perseverance. By teaching one learns.

Learning Braille, though I must use jumbo Braille, it inspired this poem.

2. Love Poem
Jacqueline Williams

                                                                        1431
W. 7th Place

Mesa, AZ 85201

480-834-1782

My Fingertips Braille You to Me

My warm and sensing fingertips explore

dots 1,3,4,5,6, the “y” for you—

trace tenderness awaiting what’s in store when warm and sensing fingertips
explore.

My fingertips urge you to want me more.

That lovers love with fingertips is true.

My warm and sensing fingertips explore

dots 1,3,4,5,6, the “y” for you.

I will not feel badly if you cannot post this. The more communiqués I
receive from you, the more I realize how very busy you must be in behalf of
all of us.

I thank you very much for the opportunities you provide.

Jacqueline Williams

jackieleepoet at cox.net