[stylist] Canes and dogs

Susan Tabor souljourner at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 9 20:00:01 UTC 2011

Well stated, Bridgit! Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Bridgit Pollpeter
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2011 2:50 PM
To: stylist at nfbnet.org
Subject: [stylist] Canes and dogs

At the risk of being taken out of context and accused of intolerance and
asserting my way is the only way, I will make a comment on this topic.

In fact, perhaps I should point-blank state that I only speak from my
personal experience, but I'm not suggesting or implying my way is best.
Hopefully this is good enough for some who like to interpret my post on
alternative skills as being close-minded and not allowing others to express
their opinions.

For those of us who use a cane, it is the only way we know how to to travel
with an independent tool.  I learned the cane and have never used a dog- the
cane is what I am familiar with.  I'm not so arrogant to assume that another
method is not as effective though.

I've met many blind people who believe a dog is not an effective tool nor
can a person be truly independent with a dog.  These people are ignorant of
how a dog is used, and to be honest, anyone unwilling to be open-minded is
hurting themselves and society.

The person who wrote into the editor obviously is a moron who is intolerant
and probably not a great example of a competent, positive blind person.

Of course when I make recommendations to people, I will tell them to use a
cane with the small metal tip and make sure it is at least up to their chin,
but only because this is what I know and what has worked for me.
None of us can speak much on any method we are not familiar with.

My goal is for any blind person to be as independent as possible, and if a
dog, or some other method, works to accomplish that for you, then there is
nothing wrong with it.  Judgment does go both ways, but no one should
question a persons motives and claim they can not be independent due to a
tool or method.  To be honest, I see way to much judgment and intolerance
among blind people, especially in the NFB.

In the Federation, our ultimate goal is suppose to be independence and
reaching our full potential.  If we are doing that, why should it matter
what tools and methods we use?

I believe officially supporting one tool, method, skill, is just opening the
gate to prejudice and judgment.  Obviously you have to use what is most
efficient, but if you are reaching independence and success, no one should
be stating that one way is better, or the only way.  We just create more
problems by these attitudes.

I think it was good a response was made to this fools comments.  There are
cane and dog users who are great, and there are others who could use some
help to learn each respective tool better.  But don't assume one is better
than another.  Both are viable, efficient tools when used properly.

Bridgit