[stylist] Canes and dogs

Marion Gwizdala marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Tue May 10 18:43:33 UTC 2011

Steve,
    I feel the tone of Mr. Hendel's comments about taking a guide dog to a
restaurant was set by the sentence, "I have sometimes not understood why my
dog using friends drag their dog along." He then goes on to describe a visit
to a restaurant in which he asserts a blind person does no independent
travel. I admit my comments were extrapolations questioning whether or not
Mr. Hendel uses a cane under such circumstances. It could be argued that, if
a blind person is not doing any independent traveling and, therefore, has no
need for a guide dog, that one would not have a need for a cane either.
After all, the question could very well be, "What need has a blind person
for a cane, since there is no independent travel?"
    I would also like to categorically state that I do not believe that a
guide dog or a cane is the best told for independent travel, just as I would
not assert that a hammer, screwdriver, plumb, level, saw, or any other tool
of the carpentry trade is better. It depends upon the job for which the tool
will be used. I have used a hammer on a screw and a screwdriver on a nail;
however, the proper tool for the needed application would have worked better
if I had it at my disposal.
    Although I missed the article that triggered Mr. Hendel's comments, it
seemed to loathe the use of the white cane. I am not a guide dog user with
such loathing. In fact, as I mentioned in my rebuttal earlier, I am as
proficient with my white cane as I am with my guide dog. Furthermore, I am a
strong advocate for maintaining such proficiency in order to maintain
independence in a variety of circumstances.
    For instance, as a professional musician I am frequently asked to
perform at private parties at people's homes. I will not, under any
circumstances, ask a customer if it is okay for me to bring my guide dog. I
know full well that, if I should ask, I may not get an honest answer. All
too many people might feel as if it were disrespectful to say, "No!" to such
a request, even though that is their desire. those who know me well enough
to know that I am a guide dog user will let me know that it is alright;
however, if they do not, I will not inquire. The same is true when I am
invited to someone's home for other reasons. I am not one who asserts, "If
they don't want my dog, they don't want me!" I think such assertions are
ludicrous!In such circumstances, I need to be independent and that means
using my cane.
    There are many other reasons I will opt for my white cane rather than my
guide dog. I live in Florida and when the weather is nice, it is very nice.
When it is not, though, it can be awful! I might need to go out when it is
raining, but a wet dog is not pleasant, so I will leave him home and take my
cane. I also enjoy concerts and many venues do not have adequate room for a
100-pound dog, not to mention that many concert-goers tend to like to imbibe
for the experience. Such a large, intoxicated crowd isn't the best for my
dog! Then there are those times - like those of us who are parents know -
that we just don't want the hassle of dealing with kids or dogs!
    There is so much more I could say on the subject line, but suffice it to
say that I am not an absolutistic thinker when it comes to the subject. As
my response to maid Ziegler said, I have had a dog in my life since I was
four years old. I like dogs. I even have a dog for my dog! (grin) If I'm
going to have a dog, why not have a guide dog? On the other hand, I have
blind friends who do not like dogs and, therefore, would not consider a
guide dog. I don't understand why people don't like dog, but I don't think
they are bad people because they don't! I like beer; my wife likes rum!
Well, I like rum, too, but know my wife won't drink my beer! It's all a
matter of choice and preference!
    I am open to discussing more about the issue of guide dogs and white
canes. I will never proclaim one is better than the other, though, so it
will never be "guide dog vs. cane"! Now, let's have a beer....or some rum!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala