[stylist] Canes and Dogs

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu May 12 06:22:24 UTC 2011

Judith,

Standing in the middle of Times Square screaming you hate a certain
country is a ludicrous analogy to make when discussing when a guide dog
user should, and should not, take their dog.  Your argument is that the
bigot in Times Square looks silly, which means you imply dog users
appear silly at times.  If I were a dog user, I would be offended by
this rationale.

As many have pointed out on the list, guide dog users have every right
in this country to take their dog wherever they go.  You say there is an
appropriate and an inappropriate time to take a dog, but the examples
you list are not inappropriate environments to take a guide dog.

And one would assume those who frequently use their guide dog especially
long-time guide dog users would have no uncomfortable feelings about
taking their dog in the scenarios listed.

You say, "All I'm saying is that if bringing your dog is inappropriate
in certain situations perhaps you should think twice before bringing
it."  I think the point is that a guide dog is just like the cane- there
is not an inappropriate situation for bringing a guide dog.  Yes, yes, I
know if it is raining or a friends house may not be the best time, but
I'm speaking to your examples and all public places.

When we cane users are denied our canes on a flight, we whip out ADA
guidelines and prepare for some butt kicking.  It is the same with a
dog.  Those with guide dogs have every right to bring their trained
guide dog into any public place.  To me, your argument sounds a lot like
those who say cane users shouldn't bring their cane for certain
situations.

It is about independence.  Something, I'm afraid to say, not every
person calling themselves a Federationist truly understands.  Guide dogs
and canes were developed so blind people could experience true
independent mobility.

In another post, you say if going to a public place like the theatre,
you should leave the cane and dog at home and navigate by memory.  What
if things are rearranged?  How do you avoid throngs of people?  What if
there is an object in your way that is not usually there?  Leaving your
independent tool at home because it may make those around you
uncomfortable is insane.  And yes, you could use sighted guide, but
again, what if you need to use the bathroom?  What about an emergency
and you need to leave quickly?  I hate standing there unable to move
much because I'm waiting for sighted assistance.

A dog and cane give us that freedom.  No one should ever feel like they
can't bring their dog with them, and no one should ever deny a dog
entrance into a public setting.

Though it may not have been your intent, your post reads as though you
are uncomfortable with blindness and sticking out in a crowd because a
guide dog makes people feel awkward.  The dog, like the cane, is a badge
of independence.

Bridgit

Message: 7