[stylist] Ignorance and education

Nat Barrett hawaiianstar at gmail.com
Fri May 13 00:32:06 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I'm sorry, I had to jump in here and add my two cents.

I must say I've been fortunate not to meet those people that ask me how I
put on shoes or how I brush teeth. Good heavens! How do we brush our teeth/
Are we cave men and women all of a sudden?

I do get the occasional person that marvels at what I can do. Now mind you,
I live in a place where the people are incredibly friendly and more tiems
than not they're not the kind of people that deserve me biting their heads
off. They genuinely can't imagine.

Which is what I get. Wow, I can't imagine not having my sight. I give you so
much credit!

My biggest problem, at least 15 years ago, happened in my high school. I was
considered visually impaired at the time and thus, could still see, but need
my cane. My problem up to that point was night blindness, poor depth
perception and lack of peripheral vision. But walking straight I was more or
less fine.

Unfortunately, this conufsed many students. I even had one young ignorant
high schooler say to my face that I was faking it. I can't tell you how
outraged, how furious, how mad I was when she said that. I remember saying
to her, you think I'm faking it? She said to me, yes. You're walking around
using your eyes. So you can see. You're faking it.

I don't' remember what I said to her after that. I was so outraged I think I
just said I wasn't faking it and trust me, no one would want to fake this.
Then I stormed away.

Since then it's been better. At least most of the adults I meet aren't that
cruel and understand there is a difference. But I do get the, how do you
cook? question?

I get so upset sometimes by these questions, it's hard to hold your tongue.
I try to say as politely as I can, you know, it's either try to find a way
to do things or stay at home and do nothing. I mean, I have to live life, I
can't hide away from the world.

I personally don't feel majority of people are stupid or even ignorant. I
just think they're uninformed. It's been a passion of mine for years, ever
since high school to re-enter those schools and ask permission to educate
their youngsters. I have a story about this, but it's too long to tell here.
But let's just say that my rehab for the blind and I partnered up to educate
my school. Once that was done, I noticed a complete turnaround in attitudes
the very next day. I was so amazed and shocked, but also glad. It made mye
rest of my senior year in high school a whole heck of a lot better!

Sometimes I want to make my own t-shirt with a bullet-point list of dos and
don'ts when dealing with blind people. Even that or maybe I should make
those little cars you see at the check out stand at the bookstore with stuff
like, stupid questions not to ask a blind person. Lol.

I better stop now while I'm ahead. peace all.
Natalie