[stylist] stylist Digest, Vol 85, Issue 21

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu May 19 00:49:53 UTC 2011

Donna and Kerry,

I agree, Donna.  Kerry's comments about poetry are astute.

This is the same thinking in creative nonfiction.  Some think in
nonfiction that every detail, every conversation, be verbatim, and if
you can't recall things exactly, then you shouldn't write it.

But in CNF, the importance is not so much the exactness of each detail,
but what was happening emotionally and mentally in a particular moment.

Not that you make stuff up, and you recollect to the best of you
ability, but the details are secondary to the message.  Just like in
poetry.

Most poetry is a reflection on some aspect of the writer.  Poetry uses
imagery and symbols to communicate a thought or idea.  Words create
moments in poetry that are translating the writers experiences and
emotions.  It is the expression and the response elicited.

This is how creative nonfiction often works.  Hence the creative part!
*smile*

Bridgit

Message: 8