[stylist] stylist Digest, Vol 85, Issue 21

Judith Bron jbron at optonline.net
Thu May 19 18:01:20 UTC 2011

A few things can't be captured in an interview.  Expressions, the tone of
the interviewee, like Donna said the pauses, what the person does during the
pauses.  Does he fidget with a piece of paper?  In the expression category
does he look nervous?  Does he stand by the window for fifteen minutes in
the process of answering one question?  An interviewer, for the most part,
does not record these reactions.  However, as we know from personal
experience, they say a lot about the interviewee and what's going on in his
mind during the interview.  That's one more thing!  A journalist is not a
mind reader!  Judith