[stylist] APA guidelines

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue May 31 18:12:07 UTC 2011

Jean,

I have had to write papers in APA before, and, like any academic style
of writing, there are rules on how certain things are structured such as
how one cites info within the text and how to create a works cited page.
If you use Braille, it should not be difficult to determine most of
these things with a few exceptions.

Page numbers will not be read by JAWS, and I don't believe a Braille
display picks them up either.  I'm talking about the page number and
name usually placed in the top right hand corner of a paper.

Also, those using footnotes and endnotes when citing within the text,
JAWS does read this, but it mixes into the text of the paper itself so
you have to pay attention, and again, I'm not sure how a Braille display
picks this up.

With the works cited page, if using a Braille display, it will be easy
to make sure students follow proper APA style, but if using a
screenreader, it is possible, just tedious.

You may feel comfortable having a pair of eyes to double check, but APA
style, and any other style, really shouldn't be terribly difficult to
check especially if you are a Braille user and have a Braille display.
I suggest using the Purdue website to refer to for APA rules and
guidelines, but it shouldn't be difficult to check on papers.

I don't know why we don't just adopt one style of writing, but these
styles were created primarily for the presentation of info when writing.
And note to writers of any kind- some literary publications do expect
people to follow a specific style when submitting and this includes
fiction pieces.

Usually certain styles are accepted for certain types of writing.  MLA
is used for English and literary writing, while APA is mostly used for
the humanities and social sciences.

Jean, I'm sure you know all this, but these writing styles do not
contain much that is visual info that can not be checked non-visually.
Some rules in APA are that you usually have intext citations that are
footnotes or endnotes instead of a parenthetical citation, or on the
works cited page, you do not list first names, but just a first initial
along with a last name.  It is about the presentation of information,
and this can be checked non-visually.

I've written in pretty much every style of writing (APA, MLA, Chicago
Manual, etc.) and it has never been impossible to double check my work
or others.  It also depends on how tough you are when grading on style.
Some people are sticklers, and will take points off for any minor
infraction, and others are lenient.  I've had instructors assign a
style, but truly only care about the content (including spelling and
grammar) while others drop a whole letter grade if a style is not
adhered to even if the content is good.  It is your prerogative.

If you know and understand the rules of APA, then I do not think a
sighted assistant is necessary, but if you are not familiar with the
style, then it may be helpful to have assistance, of any kind, to ensure
proper guidelines are followed.

* I think the only comfusion between APA style and AP, is those who know
nothing about writing styles especially since one has two A's and the
other does not!  *grin*

Message: 3