[stylist] Need help with upcoming article on web accessibility

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Tue Nov 8 22:23:19 UTC 2011

Hi Friends,

I need your help. I'm working on an article for Suite 101 about a new
academic study/article which was just published about web access. I'd like
to put a human face on it. This wouldn't be a portrait, just a brief mention
with your name, city, occupation/student status and a little about the
websites you have had trouble with and/or digital devices you wish were
accessible.

I don't need a photo this time -- I'm getting them from the authors -- but I
wouldn't turn one down. This wouldn't require an interview, just an e-mail.
If you'd be willing, let me hear from you ASAP -- Monday at the latest. I
might be able to use two or three people.

The article, which was published in the November 2011 issue of  the First
Monday journal, is "Retrofitting accessibility: The legal inequality of
after-the-fact online access for persons with disabilities in the United
States." It was written by three professors from Maryland universities --
Brian Wentz, Paul T. Jaeger, and Jonathan Lazar. The NFB is mentioned
frequently in the study. Jonathan Lazar, is well-known to the NFB and won a
Bolotin award a couple of years ago. Brian Wentz has conducted several
studies of accessibility issues in which I participated.

Their work is  ground-breaking because it shows the ways in which the laws
on disability issues differ from those for other minorities and contends
that there is a double standard which is perpetuating a permanent
underclass. If you'd like to read it, go to:

http://www.worlib.org/fm/wentz/

If you want to help me with this, e-mail me with the above info at:

dwhill at epix.net

Thanks,

Donna

=======