[stylist] Prose writers learning from poets

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 10 21:45:14 UTC 2011

I completely agree about learning how to write economically, but
powerfully, from poets. In my creative writing major, there were three
tracks to choose from: fiction, poetry or creative nonfiction.
Regardless of which one you chose, you still were require to take a
fundamentals of fiction as well as fund. Of poetry and a beginning
fiction and poetry studio.

I dredded taking poetry since no one ever tried to cultivate a love and
respect for this art form. Poetry just isn't my thing, I thought. It's
all hippy-dippy and esoteric. Then I took my poetry credits and realized
how much I had been missing.

Word choice is fundamental in any poem. Poetry is basically a love of
words. Powerful word choices, mainly strong verbs and nouns, create
imagery that can pack a punch, set a tone, stimulate creativity, change
the world. It was very eye opening to discover the simple truth behind
poetry.

After this, I've learned to pay attention to every word ensuring I not
only bring clarity to a single sentence, but that it contains the best
meaning possible. Whether I'm good or not is another story, smile, but
at least I have a better understanding of what turns words into strong
writing.

Now, I'm still no poet, but I have a better understanding of how poetry
works. I truly believe it has helped me become a gooder writer! Ha-ha,
LOL

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: