[stylist] Visual description and characters

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 10 22:14:48 UTC 2011

Jim,

Perhaps I'm not quite understanding what you mean- which is very well
true in my case, smile. You say, though, "Something in me wants to rebel
when you tell me everything. I want to project how things look, feel,
and smell onto the story. Too much detail makes me think that the author
is telling me how I should act, feel, and react if I were the character,
when I want to become the character, and live through the author's
character, but through my senses."

First, it's only natural that an author wouldn't write from a blind
perspective, or relying solely on sensory detail other than visual, if
they had no experience or exposure to blindness. Just as it's natural
for some blind writers to rely on information other than visual, it's
equally natural for sighted writers to focus on visual aspects. This
doesn't mean a writer avoids the other senses, but we can't expect every
story to be written in the perspective of each individual reader.

An author attempts to create relatable characters, but ultimately they
write from their perspective- their experience of life. If you're a
writer and sighted, this includes the visual aspect of life. Writers are
suppose to be observant, paying attention to the details around them.
You gather this information with whatever senses are available to you.
This process helps bring a fullness to one's writing.

Now, when you say, "Too much detail makes me think that the author is
telling me how I should act, feel, and react if I were the character,
when I want to become the character, and live through the author's
character...," it's not a readers job to make the character other than
who the character is as defined by the author. Characters are crafted to
be three-dimensional so they come to life. Authors want readers to place
themselves in the story, to relate to characters, to have emotional
write your own stories. We don't go to a play or film expecting
characters to be what we want, and the same is how it should be for
literary characters. In a way, characters in literature are like real
people because a writer has spent time developing each one with
individual personalities, emotions, dreams, actions and quirks. To
project whatever an individual reader wants into a story and character
isn't the intention behind reading a story. The writer is telling us how
to think, act, respond as that character because that's how the
character was created. It would be like if I expected you to be a
certain way according to my own line of thinking, but obviously you are
who you are, complex, multi-dimensional being, and when you say, act or
do something, you do it with the intention that I understand your
thought process or opinion or belief. Though not real, characters in a
story are like this. We don't spend time creating characters so that
readers can change a character based on individual experiences, likes,
dislikes, etc. Remember choose-your-own-adventure books for kids? We
don't write characters as choose-whatever-you-want-for-this-character
characters. It's not our job as readers to define characters. We may not
like them, or how a story is told, but we aren't suppose to project
ourselves and ideas into a story other than when we relate or evoke some
emotion, but based on how an existing character is structured.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan