[stylist] Reading with JAWS and track changes

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 17 20:51:02 UTC 2011

Allison,

I was a creative writing major so I pretty much wrote for four years
straight! Smile. In my program, my writing profs didn't use to track
changes, to my knowledge. With me, they inserted comments and
corrections directly in the text in an electronic copy. They used
asterisks or parantheses to note their comments. They also left comments
at the end of a manuscript as well. My classmates did the same thing for
me so they could comment and point out specific spots.

I asked profs in other classes, like lit and English, to do the same
thing with papers. It worked.

Then I took some journalism classes such as public relations writing and
public relations: working with the media, and the profs used track
changes to make comments. I had the same problem as you so requested
they not comment this way. They either followed the format mentioned
above, or in one case, the prof spent the time to go through things in
person. If you can't access comments a certain way, it's a reasonable
accommodation to request it be done differently. If you want to be the
best student possible, you need to access comments. To my knowledge, not
much can be done to make this accessible, but I'm no JAWS expert either.

Good luck.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: