[stylist] Halloween tale

KajunCutie926 at aol.com KajunCutie926 at aol.com
Mon Oct 24 18:35:09 UTC 2011

Great story Shawn... thoroughly  enjoyed!

In a message dated 10/24/2011 1:07:05 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
Shawn.D.Jacobson at hud.gov writes:

Jackie

Thanks for looking over my story.  What I will  probably do is use a
printed sheet with a magnifying class.  I'm hoping  I've gone over this enough
that my memory will aid me in where I  am.

Below find the latest version, I think I've cleaned this up a  bit.

Shawn

The Fear of Rejection
by Shawn  Jacobson

"You'd be surprised how many stories we reject are for very  basic reasons
obvious lapses in science, inconsistent characters, poor grammar  and things
like that" the editor said as I looked down at the drained deserted
swimming pool.  "The form rejection letter actually covers most reasons  for
rejecting a story yours included."
I looked at the form letter for my  latest story, but any of the myriad
such letters I'd received would have  done.  "I'm not sure what basic think I
missed though.   Is it  that the story has been done many times before?"
"Well" said the editor "we  do see a lot of stories about aliens in human
form that eat people, but you  had some interesting twists, the one about the
aliens breathing fire like  dragons to cook their food was a nice touch.
Even man-eating  reptile-looking aliens don't want to mess with food
poisoning.  In fact,  the scene where the alien lures the hero out on the hotel
balcony to be eaten  was rather well done.  Oh, I see you're shivering," he
added changing the  subject "are you OK?"
"Yes" I replied "just a little chilly, I'll be  OK".  In fact, I would
rather have been in the hospitality suite where it  was warm grazing off the
snack table and doing damage to my diet, but the  chance to talk to the famous
editor about my work was just too good an  opportunity to pass up.  A chunky
gal with glue-on antennae and green  face paint had been chiding me about
not being in costume when I had bumped  into the editor and he invited me out
to the balcony to discuss my work.   I noticed with jealousy that the
editor didn't have to wear a costume to get  respect.
The form letter seemed to glow in the ghostly lunar light as I  went
through the bulleted paragraphs. "I know you like happy endings in the  stories
you publish and the story ends happily for the hero even if a lot of  the
other characters get lunched."
"Nothing wrong with the ending either"  the editor said "in fact a lot of
the aliens had a happy ending to.  It  was nice that you pointed that out.
Most authors I run into wouldn't  have bothered with what happened to the
aliens; you kind of stand out that  way.  In fact, it's one reason I'm talking
to you and not all the other  folks whose stories I reject.  You'd be
surprised how many stories I  reject, how voracious a reader you have to be in my
job.  You also need  intestinal fortitude to stomach some of the stuff I
get."
"And I read that  you want strong characters and extraordinary challenges;
I thought my  characters were strong and quite interesting."
"Yes, yes," the editor  continued, and the challenges were difficult to
surmount.' Meanwhile someone  in the room said "gee it's getting chilly in
here, can someone shut the  balcony door?"  A man in Klingon garb slid the door
shut, muting the  raucous conversation from within.  "As I said," the editor
went on  "your're characters were great, delectable as a matter of fact;
it's just that  there's one basic thing that makes your story wrong for us."
"What could  that be?" I asked as another couple returned to the warmth of
their room  leaving us alone in the night.  A cloud scudded across the moon
darkening  the scene.  Suddenly, the stars seemed somehow closer than they
had  before.
"I believe there's one bullet on the letter we haven't discussed;  in fact,
if I'm not mistaken, it's the first, most important, bullet."
I  looked down trying to read the letter in the light from within the hotel
room,  a light repeatedly eclipsed by would be galactic citizens as they
moved about  doing there thing.
"We are quite proud of our guidelines you know"  continued the editor
through my attempt to read "we feel that following them  is the best way to serve
our readers.  It gives them the sort of meaty  stories you can sink your
teeth into, the one's we're proud to provide."
My  bafflement grew as I strove to read threw the occulted light.  How
could  my story, the precious fruit of my imagination, have run afoul of the
first  bulleted item?  It was obvious to me that mine was the type of story
that  the magazine would publish.  As I was about to give up in frustration, I
heard a ripping sound and looked up.
"You see" said the editor as he pealed  the skin from his face "we only
publish science fiction."