[stylist] Reviewing Books

Justin Oldham j.oldham at gci.net
Fri Sep 2 01:17:52 UTC 2011

I was asked about the value of reviewing books, so I thought I would share
my own opinion with the Writer's Division.

I don't review books for political reasons.  I've known too many writers,
both sighted and blind, who get bogged down in feuds over book reviews.

Some writers use book reviews as a way of grabbing attention.  Trashing
somebody else's work generates a form of 'buzz' that some people find
appealing.

Writers need to have thick skins.  We should be capable of hearing and or
reading the criticism of others without a spike in our blood pressure.
There is, however, a terrible truth to be had here.  We don't all have thick
hides.

Writers do critique each other's work, though it tends to be done behind
closed doors.  It's a professional courtesy to limit remarks to private
conversations without revealing them in a circulated book review.

Writers who do critique openly tend to say only good things about other
writers that they like.  It's a form of mutual support.  Say good things
about me and I wil say good things about you.  There is commercial value to
this.  It does work.

The best form of critic, in my opinion, is a reader who says what they like
and what they do not like.  It's a well known fact that book sales can rise
or fall on the strength of book reviews.  I do like hearing from the people
who read my books, even if they didn't like them.

I encourage readers to post reviews on whatever web sites they like.  Like
what you like.  Pan what you don't like...but...be constructive.  Tell us
why you didn't like it.

All published writers are at the mercy of our critics.  Good reviews drive
sales.  Negative reviews restrict sales.  All I ask of any reader/consumer
is that you use your power wisely.  Don't persecute.

Readers who review books can serve a good purpose.  They can expose the
frauds and promote the experts.  Again, I say, use this power wisely.