[stylist] Story development strategy?

Justin Oldham j.oldham at gci.net
Sun Sep 25 20:53:26 UTC 2011

Hello Brad:

I'm the author of a few large books, myself.  I do use an outline process to
avoid tangets.  It's my opinion that big stories contain big ideas, and/or
lots of chracters, and/or a long passage of time.  For this reason, an
outline (no matter how crude) DOES serve a purpose.

Developing the "big" story is hard because you can get bogged down in the
little things.  This results in sub plots that don't need to be there.  I,
personally, get better at this with each big book I write.  I overcome this
problem by employing a vicious brutal editor who has no mercy.

Being signed to a major publishing house doesn't confer greatness upon any
writer.  Nor does it guarantee editorial efficiency.  One reader's
blubbering whiner is another reader's deep sensitive soul.  I will hazard a
guess that you expected more from this writer be-cause they had the big time
book deal.

I get the feeling that you are, in some small way, also taking issue with
the writer's method.  Making it up as you go along is called
Stream-Of-Consciousness.  Its a very popular way of writing.  It is
unstrucutred, to be sure.  Some people say its lazy or undisciplined.
Others call it a higher form of art that shows us the soul of the author.
Its also the only way some people can tell their story.

It's been my experience that one in ten writers are what you'd call
technicians.  They jot down their outlines and use very specific
calibrations to mold their work.  I, personally, am a technican.  Every word
that goes on to one of my pages is plotted, schemed, and re-thoguht before
use.

I don't force this on any of the writers I mentor.  It all comes down to how
you are wired.  Story-telling dates back to the beginning of time.  Oral
traditions have carried over in to writing.  Stream of consciousness doesn't
work for me, but it does work for almost everybody else.

The one best piece of advice I can give on the matter is this.  Make a note
of what somebody did that you don't like and remember it.  Then, don't do it
in your own work.