[stylist] off-topic, circadian cycles

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 29 19:43:47 UTC 2011

Barbara,

It's true that blind people who don't have light perception tend to have
their sleep patterns off because of the lack of exposure to sunlight. A
similar thing happens to people living in Alaska where it's dark six
months out of the year. Alaskans have experienced similar off-cycle
sleep patterns along with depression.

There are also people like me, for whatever reason, who just are night
owls. Part of my problem is that my brain is always on the go. Even when
exhausted, I can't turn my mind off long enough to fall asleep. Perhaps
this accounts for my strange, vivid dreams. Smile

I still have light perception, though, so I doubt my sleep issues are
related to my vision. In fact, my vision has been clearing lately and
bright light is a bitch! Smirk. Plus, I had the same issue with sleep
and being a night owl when I was sighted.

I've learned some relaxing techniques, and often I have to have a book
or TV playing in the background just so I have something to concentrate
on to avoid thinking. I hate having a TV in the bedroom, so I usually
fall asleep in the spare room or livingroom then my husband carries me
into bed. Once asleep, though, I'm out, stone-cold, unless the baby is
here then I wake at the drop of a pin. LOL

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan