[stylist] off-topic, circadian cycles

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Sep 29 20:54:48 UTC 2011

Again, can you explain to me how we know it is the lack of light being received by the eyes?  If you
take a cross section of blind people for such a study, how do they compare with a group of sighted
persons having other similar characteristics such as 70% unemployment, or having recent large changes in
their lives such as blind persons who have recently lost vision.  Is a person depressed in the winter
because they don't get enough sun, or could it have to do with it being difficult to go anywhere because
of weather?  It is pretty much a given that the less sun, the worse the weather in the winter.  I
certainly can't say that I have read every study, but a couple that I've looked at in the past contained
all kinds of assumptions with a seeming lack of attention to comparing those who are blind with a
similar set of persons who are not.  In my family, I've also personally experienced a doctor who got so
excited that he had a blind person who had a sleep disorder that we had to get almost a little mean to
get him to check for apnea before he started doing his research and writing his paper, and as a result
they found one of the worst cases of apnea they had seen.  He was going to launch into the blindness
study before even checking that.  I've just never had a good feeling about all of this, even though I
recognize there are a lot of mysteries regarding the human body that we don't understand, and there
might be effects of sunlight that we don't understand.  What I fear is that sometimes blind persons are
not getting treated for the real problem as a result of the way some of this comes down.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson