[stylist] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Condemns Lack of Access to New Kindle Fire

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 30 17:58:39 UTC 2011

Now I'm waiting for the headquarters to call for a protest.

Blind Condemns Lack of Access to New Kindle Fire

Hi,
In case you haven't seen this ...

Jim

National Federation of the Blind Condemns
Lack of Access to New Kindle Fire

Baltimore, Maryland (September 29, 2011): The National Federation of the
Blind commented today on the release of Amazon's new Kindle Fire, which
cannot be used by people who are blind.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"Blind Americans have repeatedly asked Amazon to include accessibility for
the blind in its Kindle product line.  The feasibility of including
accessibility in similar products has been demonstrated.  The Department of
Education and the Department of Justice have made it clear that Kindle
devices cannot be purchased by educational institutions, libraries, and
other entities covered by this country's disability laws unless the devices
are fully accessible.  Despite all this, Amazon has released a brand new
Kindle device, the Kindle Fire, which cannot be used by people who are
blind.  Enough!  We condemn this latest action by Amazon and reiterate that
we will not tolerate technological discrimination.  The National Federation
of the Blind seeks nothing less than equal access to all technology for
blind people.  It is one of the most critical civil rights issues facing
blind Americans in the twenty-first century, and we will do everything in
our power to see that this right is secured."

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the
largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the
United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy,
education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and
self-confidence.  It is the leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the
National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.

solely for use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately
and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not
keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail without the author's
prior permission. The views expressed in this e-mail message do not
necessarily represent the views of Highmark Inc., its subsidiaries, or
affiliates.