[stylist] Braille Monitor article- Kids say the darndest things

Bernadetta Pracon bernadetta_pracon at samobile.net
Wed Apr 4 20:25:29 UTC 2012

Yes, I've been asked several great blindness related questions both by
kids and adults as well.
I remember this like it was yesterday; I was in first grade, it was
Parents visiting day, and this one little girl in my class came over
and said, "my mommy wanted me to ask you, did you go blind from
watching too much tv?".
A few years later, I remember one of my classmates arguing with me,
insisting that my mom has to be blind too, since I am. She wouldn't
take no for an answer even when I gave her a clear, logical  explanation.
When I was giving a presentation about guide dogs to a group of sixth
graders at a local middle school, one boy raised his hand and asked me
how I manage to brush my teeth since I can't see.
Finally, a few years ago, a random person came up to me, grabbed my
hand as I exited a building and said "Hey. Excuse me. You're outside.
Do you know that? You've just left the building." He said, speaking
louder than necessary.
"So has Elvis," I said, trying to make light of the fact that this guy
obviously didn't know the difference between being blind and deaf. I
was shocked that he'd say something so strange. After I told him that
he really shouldn't walk up to people and grab them like he did me, he
just walked off, apparently baffled. What do ya know. grin.

Bernadetta