[stylist] What I've been reading

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Sun Apr 15 01:08:07 UTC 2012

Bridgit,

All is not lost. Both of my kids have had challenging English classes in
high school. My daughter is a junior and this year in her honors English
class she's read To Kill A Mockingbird, The Help, Into the Wild, and right
now she's reading The Things They Carried. She also had to read two books on
her own and write analytical papers. She read The Tenderness of Wolves,
which was an excellent book, and The Saddness of Lemoncake, which I didn't
read but it has to do with a family of synestesiacs. I  like to read what my
kids are reading so we can discuss it, and both of my kids are not only
excellent readers, they are excellent writers and know how to look for the
deeper meaning in works of literature. Which, although it's a YA novel, is
where I'dplace the first book in the Hunger Games series. To me, the
violence was used as a tool to show how both Catness and Peta try hard to
hold on to their humanity. And the wealth and pagentry of the government was
used to show how far away from the people of the nation the elite are. A
message that we Americans should consider very carefully in our own world of
today.

chris