[stylist] More comments on please read my blog

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 24 19:02:00 UTC 2012

Jackie,

As always, you are far too kind, grin.

Though this is Ross's and mine's first biological child, we have been
parents for almost three years. Our niece, Penny, on my side, has been a
huge part of our life. My sister was pregnant with Penny while still in
high school. We initially were going to adopt her, and actually had her
for a short time after being born. Alas, my sister craved into some
pressure, married the father and decided to not adopt Penny out. It was
devestating for Ross and I especially, since at the time, we were told a
natural pregnancy wasn't possible. Regardless, we remained, and still
do, extremely close to Penny. It goes above and beyond the normal aunt
an uncle role. To this day, Penny calls me mama, and she has her own
room at our house. She even took her first steps for me, smile, and for
the longest time, her biological father couldn't calm her or sooth her,
and in fact, there were plenty of times when she refused to go to him at
all, but Ross has always been a solid father figure to Pen who still
takes so naturally to him. I find it quite sexy how he has developed
these fathering instincts, ha-ha! What is it for us gals about a dad?

In the past two-and-a-half years, there's been very few weekends where
we didn't have her for the entire weekend. So the mommy and daddy role
has been ever present for Ross and I, though pregnancy has been an
entirely new experience, smile. And the day-in and day-out care of a
child who is with you daily will be a bit of an adjustment as well, but
I say all this to illustrate that, while I have plenty to work on and
learn, Ross and I have developed a few parenting skills, and I've had
the opportunity to learn that with kids, you just have to go with the
flow, grin. Not that it isn't difficult for me at times especially when
it comes to messes and clutter, but I know how important it is to relax
and just take things as they happen. And that spending quality time with
your kids is worth more than anything. I also had, let's just say, not
the greatest of childhoods. Among some more damaging memories, I had a
mother who didn't always like playing. She wasn't a great nurturer
either, and I have learned from my past. I too don't always give Penny
the play time she deserves, and I end up feeling guilty about this, but
I try to balance time and prioritize tasks, and I hope to get better
with our son.

I'm also rather proud to have discovered that I am quite the nurturer
and as it turns out, I have a ton of patience where my kids are
concerned, smile. I was fearful certain behaviors would be passed down
to me, but so far, I don't seem to have developed some of the behaviors
I was always so scared about it; the least being not having patience or
a loving demeanor.

Anyway, your advice is much needed and great. I hope to learn from any
mother as I also follow my own instincts. As always, Jackie, thanks.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan