[stylist] BookShare and libraries

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Dec 28 23:39:47 UTC 2012

Hello all!

I'm just about finished writing my book.  It's been two and a half years
and finally the end is in sight.  I'll have to have a party or something!LOL

Anyway I was planning on self publishing it through Kindle, SmashWords,
i Books and other similar ebook vendors.  I was corresponding with a
blind friend who is interested in reading the book.  she asked if it
would be available through BookShare, because Kindle isn't accessible.
Firstly, my understanding is that Kindle books are accessible through
the Kindle for PC software or the ap for i devices as long as the author
has made the book text to speech  enabled.  Is this correct?

Secondly do you think services like BookShare are a disadvantage to
authors?  I'm very torn on this.  On the one hand I want blind people to
have access to my books, but on the other hand I'd like to make some
money from the sale of my book.    The topic of the book is the process
of owner training my current guide dog.  I'm anticipating that a large
portion of my readers will be blind.  If most of my readers get their
copy through BookShare it will have a huge impact on my sales.  The
price of the book will be less than $10, so should be affordable to most.

I'd love to hear thoughts on this topic.  I'm still deciding how to
proceed and I'd love your input.
Julie