[stylist] BookShare and libraries

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Sat Dec 29 23:44:47 UTC 2012

Julie,
Thanks and the same to you. I think there are a lot of blind people who
would be interested in how self-training works. I'm wondering if you intend
to do presentations for groups of guide dog users, such as NFB's NAGDU.

I will be marketing my book to schools and colleges as supplemental reading
to promote inclusivity. It's essentially fiction in the service of social
justice. I have a bunch of pre publication reviews from
education/rehabilitation professionals, and I was just asked to come to the
U of Scranton to talk to their education majors about the project in
February. This will be in advance of publication, so I see it as a way to
get back into doing presentations, which I've been away from for a bit.

I think I will get more money from live appearances than book sales, but
that may be because I got more money from school assemblies years ago than
from sales of my recordings. My two big hurdles at this point (beyond the
formatting issues) are trying to figure out how I'll sign autographs and
reading aloud. I'm not a good Braille reader, and I've had no experience --
well, I did read a Braille childrens book aloud to a second grade class once
for National Reading Month, but that was years ago. I'm working on Brailling
and then memorizing some select passages, but the autograph thing is still a
mystery to me. I used to write, and I think that, if I had something like a
signature guide that had several lines, I could do OK, but I really don't
look forward to it.
Donna