[stylist] Method acting and writing

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 30 08:32:54 UTC 2012

One more thing to add to this discussion is that the process of method
acting isn't just to learn the motions, so to speak, of a character, but
to learn their motivation. You want to not only intellectually
understand something but want to connect in a deeper, personal way to a
character and situation. The same holds true for writers, and I often
have employed method acting, to a degree, when constructing a scene or
character. I have a lot of theatre experience, so it has always seemed
natural to bring acting techniques to my writing process. It works well
for physical attributes too. For example, I was trying to detail the
specifics of a kiss between two characters, so I made my husband stand
and kiss me in several different positions for a few minutes just so I
could properly express it on page; which he didn't mind helping with,
grin! Or I will do something physical like jog or lift heavy objects in
order to capture that feeling physically on paper, or I do something
similar for emotions where I will think on a particular memory for any
given emotion so I can as accurately as possible detail the physical and
internal characteristics of said emotion.

That's all!

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style
Read my blog at:

"If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can
satisfy, we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for
another world."
C. S. Lewis

Message: 20