[stylist] question about song lyrics

Brad Dunsé lists at braddunsemusic.com
Thu Feb 16 21:46:24 UTC 2012

Chris,

If printed lyrics are treated like using a bit of
a song in something, there is a blurry line in
what constitutes legal or not. Just a little
might get by with a pass, but significant use
warrants permission and often a sync license to
use it. What is "just a little" and what is
"significant" is kind of a liquid debate from what I've seen.

I will say you'd probably have better luck asking
the publisher about lyric useage rather than
sound byte usage. Don't ask the artist, artist's
manager, or agent unless you know they own the
copyright. If I write a song, a publisher signs
it and Pat Benatar records it, the publisher owns
it because they won't sign it unless they get to
own it. But you ought be able to go to ASCAP, BMI
or SESAC's web site and search for the info.
Google might even produce the publisher to contact.

"Hit them with your best shot"

Brad

On 2/16/2012  02:58 PM Chris Kuell said...