[stylist] question about song lyrics

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Thu Feb 16 23:27:23 UTC 2012

Chris,
I wondered about this a while back, when I was thinking of including the
lyrics of someone else's song in my novel. I looked it up, and to the best
of my recollection, using a portion of the lyrics is covered under the same
section as quoting from a text; you need to credit the person but you don't
need permission. It's like when you're writing an academic paper; you quote
a passage and credit the author. If you want to use a substantial portion of
the work, you do need permission. Substantial portion is different depending
on the length of the work. There's a term for this that I can't recall, but
I did read it online on the Copyright website. I ultimately decided to
simply mention the song and not use any of the lyrics.
HTH,
Donna