[stylist] Entering a Writing Contest is a risk

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Sun Feb 19 00:08:26 UTC 2012

This is all very true, Donna.
In fine art, if you get in a show 50 percent of the time, you are doing so
well it is almost unbelievable. And, that is after years of doing your art,
and with your degrees, etc. It is always a risk every time you enter your
art in a show. ALWAYS. It never goes away. And, it is not a matter of
saying, "well, it is just that judges opinion." It is much more than that.
All judges have a broad experience at looking at art, or reading written
entries. There is an overall sense of whether or not something "works."  It
does not matter what that particular judge's personal likes or dislikes are.
When it comes to judging, they weigh each thing for what it is not what they
personally do in their own work. Two or three judges can work on selecting
the same body of entries. And, in the end there will be a lot of agreement
in the things they choose because they are looking at the big picture of the
craft itself.

If you don't put it out for this kind of critique, you really won't grow as
an artist. It is very important to begin to put your work before your peers
in this way.  Just like here on this list.  It is good to get feedback for
all of us.

Lynda