[stylist] Entering a Writing Contest is a risk

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Sat Feb 18 19:48:12 UTC 2012

Robert,
Contests are part of putting your work out there for better or worse.
Writers and all artists need thick skin, and I have met very few who come by
that naturally. Some people are crushed to the point of not sharing their
work or not even pursuing it. Others think they are thick-skinned, but they
respond to rejection by essentially saying "who cares what they think" and
fail to use the experience to re evaluate their skills. Anything, whether
it's sharing your writing here, entering a contest or submitting your work
to a publisher, constitutes an exercise that contributes to the
"normalization" of criticism. Writers will get far more rejection than
acceptance, so we all need to embrace that reality and, as Atty says, "write
on."
Donna