[stylist] Scanning of Books

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Sun Feb 19 11:35:08 UTC 2012

Jackie and Linda and others
RE: Scanning verses handling hard-copy books

Having been a sighted guy, I too have that wonderful feeling that comes with
handling a print book. And I bet some of the folks on this list who grew up
reading hard copy Braille books would have a similar tale to tell. And yes,
I have scanned a few books in my time- boy what a process and then having to
listen to it via a synthesized voice! Not my first choice  in reading, but
it is a worthwhile option --- I do greatly appreciate the job BookShare
does, the option it provides we blind folk. [Most of the bookdshare books I
read are through my braille display on my PAC Mate])

But jackie, what Linda has, as many of us on this list have, are flatbed
scanners used with a specialized scanning software program like Kurzweil or
OpenBook and maybe someone else here may have the newer scanning systems
called Pearl and MMM, I'm not coming up with its major competitor. And what
is different than your KNFB reader is --- the flatbed scanner allows you to
lay the book down on its scanning surface and depending upon the size of the
book, you can do one page, like the right or the left one as you have the
book open, or you can lay the entire open book on the scanner and do both at
once. And in general, the process of scanning a page and getting it read to
you takes --- 30 up to 60 seconds (you can read as you scan or scan and read
it all later). [The scanning software costs right at $1,000.00] It basically
works good, the scanning is not perfect but okay.

The newer systems like the Pearl (which is the new version of OpenBook by
Freedom/scientific) it scans via a camera that is on like a tripod and it is
so much faster than the flatbed scanners --- like doing the job in a couple
of seconds. (And yes, it too is pricey)

And as for the KNFB reader --- I had one and gave it away --- it worked as a
down and dirty last resort type of thing --- yeah, it was portable --- but
slow and okay if there was no other way. (And yes, maybe that I just wasn't
the best user of that piece of technology)

So enough on this- but it's great to share info and experience.