[stylist] How to Read a Poem

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Tue Feb 21 17:47:42 UTC 2012

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I recently promised a young poet I woud read a couple of his poems. He
wanted feedback. I read them each about a dozen times. I spent several days
just reading his poems. and, then I began to explicate the poem - one part
at a time, pecking away at it, beginning to grasp what he was doing and
where he might be going in the poem. Only then did I begin to write my
comments to him. After all of this, I had a number of questions for him to
think about, things I was thinking about, too. And, then we discussed them
more. It is really good to be able to work with someone and work through a
poem together and I was priviledged to do this with the poet.

Lynda