[stylist] what I've been reading...

Jacobson, Shawn D Shawn.D.Jacobson at hud.gov
Tue Jan 3 19:40:20 UTC 2012

OK, back on topic.

Another book I read recently is "Last Call" by Tim Powers (the same guy who wrote "On Stranger Tides", the book that the most recent "Pirates of the Caribien" movie was based on.  "Last Call" was a very good page turner about poker lore, Los Vegas, and a type of poker game played with tarot cards that the bad guy used to take over people's bodies.  An interesting story with a lot of action.

Another book I read, and was disappointed with, was "Covet, a Novel of the Fallen Angels" by J.R. Ward.  The author really overdoes the sex scenes in this one which is too bad because they become a distraction from the rest of the book (which could have been interesting).  Also, the theology is a little punk for my taste.

Now I'm trying to clean up a backlog of magazines, so no new novels for a while.

Have a joyous new year with joyous reading.

Shawn