[stylist] using opposite gender for main characters

Brad Dunsé lists at braddunsemusic.com
Mon Jan 9 06:07:38 UTC 2012

The only issue I can see, and it's not really an
issue if handled proper, is when writing from the
perspective of the other gendre, depending on the
age and background of the  character, you need to
speak the gender language and have the character
behave accordingly . For instance you might hear,
"Dude!  Your fro lost its mojo."
  Boy or girl? In this case either, if in the
teens or first years of college. Another example
might be  two girls might hug each other  if they
hadn't seen each other in a while,  guys will
shake hands, slug shoulders or some other
gesture.  These are obviously extremes or obvious
but there are other subtle differences to take in
consideration  depending on age, situation, rural
or city dwellers, etc. Point is to be  character
convincing, other than that away you go. Look at
Agatha Christi with
<http://www.docstoc.com/docs/69876981/Death-on-the-Nile-Hercule-Poirot-by-Agatha-Christi---The-Best-Poroit-Book>Hercule<http://www.docstoc.com/docs/69876981/Death-on-the-Nile-Hercule-Poirot-by-Agatha-Christi---The-Best-Poroit-Book>
Poirot, though  HP isn't  who I'd envision
could  "man up" as the Miller Lite commercials
like to say on Sunday football, but she still
pulls off an opposite gender character.

Brad

On 1/8/2012  11:26 PM vejas said...